TERRE HAUTE — River City Art Association and the Vigo County Public Library are featuring photography by Scott Hinton throughout May in the library at Seventh and Poplar streets.
Hinton is a self-taught photographer and artist whose main focus is nature-inspired pictures and paintings.
Born and raised in Terre Haute, Hinton has always enjoyed taking pictures of a wide variety of topics. After a trip to Chicago as a young boy, he was hooked on the idea of capturing a moment in time in a photograph. Trying to catch the scene as he sees it is still the challenge with every picture.
“There are many small things around us that we look past every day that have so much beauty in their simplicity,” he says. “That is a lot of what I try to capture in my artwork.”
He has been taking pictures for his own enjoyment for the last 20 years, but at the suggestion of some friends last year he decided to start sharing his artwork. Along with joining the River City Art Association, Scott has had a booth at the Terre Haute Downtown Farmers Market since last summer and has started an Esty store online.
While photography is still a hobby for him, Scott hopes joining the River City Art Association will allow him to gain experience and to improve his abilities.
Artwork on display at the Vigo County Public Library includes “Summer Gold” a photograph of hay bales in a Vigo County field. Two others are “Blue Door,” a photograph taken at Rose Lawn Cemetery, and “Reflect,” a photograph of a tree in the lake at Fowler Park.
Scott recently had pieces displayed at the Terre Haute Community Theater and currently has several pieces at Gaslight Artist Colony in Marshall, Ill.
Scott can be reached at Scott3Hinton at gmail dot com and a selection of his artwork can be viewed at www.etsy.com/shop/HintonPhotography.
Prospective River City Art Association members are invited to attend meetings on the second Tuesday of each month in the meeting room of the MCL Cafeteria at The Meadows shopping center. For more information, visit www.rivercityart.org or contact RCAA president Todd Stokes at 812-232-0048.
- Artwork by RCAA founding member Ruthann Brady featured on cover of today's 'BASH. fb.me/85NYvMNBf 2 weeks ago
- River City Art Association's founding member Ruthann Brady is the January Artist of the Month at the Vigo County... fb.me/2xDgqeCiN 2 weeks ago
- Today's cover features "River Wake" by RCAA member Debbie Goodin. She also received an Honorable Mention in this... fb.me/84UQv2ElD 1 month ago
- RCAA member Debbie Goodin with her awards received last night. Congratulations Debbie! fb.me/3vfR82Sh1 1 month ago
- Congratulations to River City Art Association member Debbie Goodin of Terre Haute for receiving honors in the... fb.me/2y6YYhP3n 1 month ago